Thursday, September 3, 2009

Learning Styles
My learning style is called multimodal so I use more than one kind of way to learn. The two ways I learn best are Kinesthetic and read/ write. I was aware of both ways of learning in some way but doing this quiz really helped pinpoint the strengths I have for learning. I really need to master these concepts for my major (Astronomy) to excel at it. Kinesthetic is learning by doing and read/ write is writing something over and over to get it. I usually ignored the read/ write type of learning when I was growing up because it took so much work to memorize certain things that it didn’t feel it was worth the while. I was upset because with drama I couldn’t use my strengths to memorize my parts for a performance. I want to learn ways to learn all sorts of different experiences with my strengths and not stress about my weaknesses. Memorization has to be the hardest concept for me I don’t know if kinesthetic or read/ write would help me more. I want to expand on both of these and master them. Drama isn’t the only subject I love that I cannot enjoy. Math needs memorization to a degree and an understanding on concepts you need to practice. I have a really hard time concentrating for a long period of time without getting distracted by my surroundings. Ideas for writing an essay come slow so I want to practice using the kinesthetic part of my learning to find easy ways to get my ideas down so I can make writing as painless and quick as possible. I enjoy writing, but it is difficult when I make mistakes on my last essay and don’t know how to fix it and make it better.

1 comment:

  1. As a kinesthetic learner myself, I have a couple of tricks for memorization that I'm willing to share in case you're interested. I have survived some pretty rigorous classes with huge amounts of memorization.

    Of course the best way to know something is to contextualize it with real meaning in the real world. But if you have to remember abstract facts and details, try writing them on little flashcards. Question (or term) on one side, answer (or definition) on the other.

    Quiz yourself, then look on the back and see how you did. When you get one right, set it aside, but keep quizzing yourself on the ones you don't know, turning them over, and looking at the answer.

    Pretty soon, little tactile details of the card (the color? A bend in the edge? A scribble mark?) will begin to remind you of the answer and you will have created some context.

    Also the physical act of making the cards, of physically writing the question and answer, will seal the associations up in your mind.

    ReplyDelete